Company of the month – Arla
How do we work with sustainability?
We have ambitious environmental targets and strive for holistic ways of working towards a more sustainable milk production:
- Life cycle approach – taking all steps from cow to consumer into our focus areas. This includes the entire life cycle of our products, from raw materials to disposal
- Focus on farm – our environmental strategy 2020 includes dairy farms’ environmental footprint. Through knowledge sharing and workshops we involve our farmers in finding more sustainable dairy farming solutions
- Transparency – we invite all interested stakeholders to follow our progress and we frequently publish our milestones and results on our website.
- Stakeholder Involvement – we involve colleagues, farmers and external stakeholders in the many projects leading to a more sustainable dairy production
Sustainable Dairy Farming Strategy
To further strengthen the environmental performance at Arla dairy farms, we focus on four areas:
- Climate: reducing our footprint per kilo of milk from Arla farmers by 30% in 2020, compared to 1990
- Animals: continuously improving animal welfare
- Resources: improving efficiency in terms of energy, water and feed consumption and reducing and reusing waste
- Nature: encouraging and inspiring Arla’s suppliers to protect and promote biodiversity
On top of this, Arla shows leadership within sustainable agriculture, by responsibly sourcing selected products associated with environmental challenges.
If the article has left you with any follow up questions or ideas please feel free to contact BioValue platform manager Jane Lindedam